In Photos: Vintage Wheels in Egypt
It’s a daydream from the mid-1900s: an open road, windows rolled down, music blasting from the car radio, and life sounds like a movie. The vintage tactility of classic cars brings back memories of a bygone era only visible in the frames. Exuding an elegance similar to their time, vintage cars in Egypt, now only seen in photos or in a collector’s garage, have been eclipsed by today’s supercars.
King Farouk of Egypt had a particular interest in collecting cars. His love for cars began at the age of 11, when his father King Fouad gave him an Austin 7. In addition to his collection of Bentleys and Rolls Royces, King Farouk received a Mercedes Benz 540K as a wedding gift by Adolf Hitler in 1938.
The automobile industry in Egypt started in 1961, when the Egyptian government founded the first automobile company called EI Nasr automobile manufacturing company. State-owned, it was the first Arab automobile manufacturer in Egypt.
The company mainly produced the Fiat vehicle; it also assembled foreign licensed cars under its brand. After years of development, it designed its own products, such as El Nasr 128 GLS, which was the best-selling model at the time.
Former Egyptian President Anwar Sadat’s Open Door Economic Policy (ODEP) led to the introduction of foreign companies and capital into the Egyptian automotive market in 1974.
In 1985 General Motors started a joint venture with Al-Mansour Automotive Company, a local importer and car dealership in Egypt. In the early 1990s, the Egyptian government adopted the economic reform and structural adjustment program. It has attracted many foreign companies to the Egyptian market to build their factories and assembly lines, such as Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Hyundai and Nissan.
Here are some photos of vintage cars in Egypt in the 1900s.
Subscribe to our newsletter